Reinstall / Recover Windows XP On Asus Eee PC 900HA

Most of the netbooks does not come with CD/DVD drive. If the operating system corrupted, you need external CD/DVD drive to re install OS. By default Asus Eee PC 900ha comes with Windows XP Home Edition.

If win xp corrupted in Asus Eee PC 900ha, you can use the system recovery option to rollback netbook back to fresh installation of Windows XP, utilities and drivers installed on your Eee PC 900ha at the factory.

Here I explain three ways to recover windows xp in Eee PC .

1. Using F9 Key
2. Using Eee PC Support DVD
3. Bootable USB Drive using BartPE
4. Bootable USB Drive using UltraISO

I. Using F9 Key

Recovery partition provides a comprehensive recovery solution that quickly restores your Eee PC's software to its original working state

1. To use recovery partition, backup your data files to USB or another drive and make note of any customized settings like network settings.

2. Disable Boot Booster. The boot booster item in BIOS setup helps eee pc to boot quicker. Boot booster must disabled before using system recovery. Start the eeepc and press F2 Key on bootup to show post screen. Again press F2 key to enter Bios setup. Disable Boot Booster which is available under 'Boot' tab. Press F10 to save configuration and reboot Eee PC 900ha.

3. Press F9 key during bootup (requires a Recovery Partition)

4. Click the check mark button to start the system recovery.

5. The system starts system recovery automatically and follow the onscreen instructions to complete the recovery process.

It will take just 10 mins to 20 mins to restore the Windows XP. Files and Data in Drive C: will be lost during this restore. So take backup of your important files before doing recovery.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

II. Using Eee PC support DVD

If recovery partition corrupted on hard disk, you can't recover win xp. In this situation you need Eee PC support DVD and external DVD drive. Boot your netbook from Eee PC support DVD and follow the onscreen instructions to complete the recovery process.

III. Using Bootable USB Drive

Alternate method also updated. Read that also and choose convenient method.

Here is another situation. You dont have external DVD drive. You failed to recover Windows XP using F9 key.

Solution : You can make bootable USB drive, transfer Eee PC ghost image from DVD to USB and apply that ghost image in your Eee PC.

Following steps explains you...

Requirements.

1. A PC with DVD Drive
2. Eee PC XP Support DVD (Which comes with your EEE PC. It have ghost images of XP)
3. Any Windows XP Installation CD / DVD (for windows xp source files)
4. Bartpe Builder (to create Bart's Preinstalled Environment - BartPE bootable live USB)
5. USD Stick (atleast 4 GB)
6. Novicorp WinToFlash (to write BartPE and ghost images to USB + to make USB bootable)

Insert Eee PC DVD in PC's DVD drive and copy 2 files.
1. Eee PC Ghost image file : \Recovery\EEEPC-ENG.GHO
2. Symantec Ghost EXE file (Ghost32.exe) : its located inside \WINPE.ISO . Open this ISO using 7-Zip and extract GHOST32.EXE .

Move both files (EEEPC-ENG.GHO, GHOST32.EXE) to a single folder in hard disk. (for example i moved them to D:\Backup\EeePC)

Now insert Windows XP Installation CD in DVD Drive. Download BartPE Builder and open the application.

In "Source: (path to windows installation files)" select Windows XP drive location. In "Custom:(include files and folders from this directory)" select (EEEPC-ENG.GHO, GHOST32.EXE) files folder. Note the BartPE output folder and click "Build" button.

BartPe files will store in outuput folder.

BartPE ready.Insert USB stick and Format USB drive. Now Download WinToFlash and open the application (WinToFlash.exe).

Click on "Task" tab and select "Transfer WinPE XP/2003 to flash" in "Task type".

In next window select "BartPE Output Folder" in "PE files source path". In next field select "USB Drive:" letter. Then click "Run" button.

BartPe files will be transfered to USB drive. After finish browse the USB drive and confirm EEEPC-ENG.GHO, GHOST.EXE copied into USB.

Now bootable live USB ready. Reboot your PC and press F2 key to enter BIOS setup. Set 1st Boot Device as USB Pen Drive. Press F10 to save settings and reboot. It should boot from the USB dirve now.

After successful boot you can get BartPE screen. Click on Go --> Run and open X:/GHOST32.EXE . In Ghost window choose Local --> Disk --> From Image and select X:/EEEPC-ENG.GHO to apply ghost image to your Hard Disk.

After finish restart your eee pc. Remove USB drive and boot from HDD.

Thats all now you got a fresh windows xp with factory settings. If you have any doubts feel free to ask in comments.

Update : 25-10-2009 - Alternate method

Here is an alternative method to recover windows xp on eee pc using USB.
Requirements.

1. A PC with DVD Drive
3. USD Stick (atleast 4 GB)
4. UltraISO Trial Version

Insert Asus Eee pc recovery dvd into DVD drive. Download and install ultraiso trial version from http://www.ezbsystems.com/ultraiso/download.htm . Open UltraISO as Administrator (right-click shortcut, "Run as Administrator").

Goto 'File' menu and click 'Open CD/DVD...' and choose recovery dvd drive letter and open. Recovery DVD contents will be loaded in Ultra ISO.

Plug USB drive and click on 'Bootable' menu and choose 'Write Disk Image' in Ultraiso.

In 'Disk Drive' select USB drive letter. In write method choose 'USB-HDD'. Then click 'Xpress Boot' --> 'Xpress Write'

In 20-30 minutes Recovery DVD files will be copied to USB. Now we need to edit two files in USB.

In UltraISO click 'File' --> 'Open' . Browse newly created USB drive and find 'WINPE.ISO' file and open that.

Right click on the file RCDGHOST.BAT and click 'Extract'. The file will be extracted and shown in local file browser window. Right click RCDGHOST.BAT file there and click on 'View'. The file open in Notepad.

Find
set DVD_ROM=%1

and replace with
set DVD_ROM=D:

Find
set HD_COUNT=%3

and replace with
set HD_COUNT=1

Find
:HDF9
set HD1_ID=%4

and replace with
:HDF9
set HD1_ID=0

[Important Note : This settings changes are only for Asus Eee PC 900ha. If you have any other model, go through the file and change appropriate values (:HDF9 may change). for example if you have 'EEEPCAH.GHO' in recovery folder, you need to change

:AHD
set HD1_ID=%4

to

:AHD
set HD1_ID=0

]

Then save the file. Right click on the file and click 'Add' . It will ask confirmation to overwrite the file in USB. Click 'Yes'.

Like this we need to edit 'WINPESHL.INI' which is located in /I386/SYSTEM32 . Browse to that folder in UltraISO. Rightclick and extract the file WINPESHL.INI . Right click and click view and open in notepad.

Find
AppPath = X:\EPCRECOVER.EXE

and replace with
AppPath = X:\RCDGHOST.BAT

Save the file, Right click and select 'Add' to overwrite in USB. Now in UltraISO click File --> Save .

Thats all. The modified files updated and Bootable Eee PC recovery USB is ready. Reboot your Eee PC netbook and press F2 key to enter BIOS setup. Set 1st Boot Device as USB Pen Drive. Press F10 to save settings and reboot. It should boot from the USB dirve now. Sit back and watch :).

After successful reboot, you can see Ghost restore window and that will make partitions on Eee PC. Then that will automatically create hidden Pre installation environment on E: and EEEPC-ENG.GHO copied to that drive. This may take 10 minutes.

After this process eee pc will be automatically restarted. Carefully remove USB drive. After reboot, Windows XP will be restored with factory settings.

If you have any trouble feel free to ask in comments.

Also read this post : Install Windows 7 on Asus Eee PC
Get Latest Posts Via Email

Comments

128 Responses to "Reinstall / Recover Windows XP On Asus Eee PC 900HA"

Anonymous

Thanks Man, It was great. You saved me!

September 16, 2009 at 8:26 AM
fidero

thanks a lot man

September 22, 2009 at 1:46 PM
keepitfresh

Thank you so much for this information!, i managed to fix my friends EeePC with this, Thank you so much!

Best regards.

Tom.

October 7, 2009 at 12:00 PM
Anonymous

i take this error mesage during the installation.. Usage error 684, The location of the file preservation metadata file conflicts with the destination of clone, use the -pfile switch to specify a different location for the preservation metadata file

October 15, 2009 at 5:37 AM
Spemi

@Anonymous
Screenshot
Did you followed this...? In Ghost window choose Local --> Disk --> From Image then choose X:/EEEPC-ENG.GHO to apply image.

October 15, 2009 at 9:39 AM
Anonymous

I followed every single step, but nothing. After i do the last step i take the error, maby i must format all the hard disk before, now i have installed the ubuntu remix!

October 15, 2009 at 9:57 AM
Spemi

@Anonymous

I have no idea why you got that error :(. If you have windows xp or windows vista DVD, try this article to install them from USB.

This weekend I will write alternate method to Restore Windows XP on Asus eeepc. I hope that will work for you.

October 15, 2009 at 10:21 AM

Thank you so much!!! :)

October 15, 2009 at 10:41 AM
Oliver Emary

i've got the 12gb partitioned Eee PC, there are two .GHO files. What do i do, i install one but not everything goes on.

Oliver

October 22, 2009 at 3:41 AM
Spemi

Updated the post with an alternate method. http://spemi.blogspot.com/2009/09/reinstall-recover-windows-xp-on-asus.html#alternate1 Try that. That may help you.

October 24, 2009 at 3:45 PM
Anonymous

Greetings I attempted this fix. And was very close :( When asked "Restore system image to your harddisk. Do you want to continue?" I click "OK" and I get a message pop up stating "Can not find Recovery DVD"

This is for the Asus eePC 1000HD.

Any other hints tips or tricks? (soo close)

October 24, 2009 at 7:10 PM

set SD2_ID=%5
call X:\EEEPC_2SD.BAT

:END

October 24, 2009 at 7:14 PM
Spemi

@Anonymous

You edited RCDGHOST.BAT well. The settings are ok.

Did you edited 'WINPESHL.INI' which is located in '/I386/SYSTEM32' of 'WINPE.ISO' on USB?

Edit that file

Find
AppPath = X:\EPCRECOVER.EXE

and replace with
AppPath = X:\RCDGHOST.BAT

save the file and update to winpe.iso.

I hope this will work.

October 24, 2009 at 8:57 PM

Yes. I did tat as well. Still no luck :(

October 25, 2009 at 6:12 AM
Spemi

This "Can not find Recovery DVD" error comes because 'WINPESHL.INI' not edited successfully. Recovery USB runs X:\EPCRECOVER.EXE . thats why you got that error.

Recovery USB need to run X:\RCDGHOST.BAT at startup.

October 25, 2009 at 6:20 AM
Spemi

Open WINPE.ISO in USB, using ultraISO and double check /I386/SYSTEM32/WINPESHL.INI have entry like this

AppPath = X:\RCDGHOST.BAT

And Paste the contents of /I386/SYSTEM32/WINPESHL.INI . I will look.

October 25, 2009 at 6:27 AM
Anonymous

Let me triple check.. Stay tuned..

October 25, 2009 at 6:29 AM
Anonymous

Ok - this is what I have found.

[launchApp]
AppPath=x:\RCDGHOST.BAT

When I double checked this - apparently I did not save it the WINPE.ISO file when I edited the .ini. Now that the file is located in the .iso and SAVED. I put it into the ee pc and would boot for a bit splash the restore screen and then go into a reboot cycle.

October 25, 2009 at 6:39 AM
Anonymous

Stay Tuned.. will post another attempt shortly..

October 25, 2009 at 6:41 AM
Anonymous

OK! I guess the coffee I just drank, assisted me with my plight. This is currently working! It automagically launched ghost and is currently restoring. My problem was that I made the changes "locally" put the files back into the WINPE.ISO but I forgot to save the WINPE.ISO. Doh!

However, Once it runs through its installation and it seems to come to a completion I am presented with "The system is not fully installed. Please run setup again."

I am not certain if that is an entirely different issue but I am back to square one :(

October 25, 2009 at 7:01 AM
Spemi

Yes It looks like a different issue :(.

Try for F9 Key Recovery Now.

If it fails let me know... I will try to give other solutions

October 25, 2009 at 7:20 AM
Anonymous

Here is the latest. I rebooted again with the USB thumb drive and got a bit further. It asked for the English keyboard, time zone settings, now I am at the point where it asks for "What's your computer name?" The farthest yet! I accepted default and clicked next. Its been siting at that screen ever since since with the hour glass and I do not see any HDD light activity or hear any activity for that matter.

I will let this sit for a few more min and then try the F9 key.
Stay tuned...

October 25, 2009 at 7:31 AM
Anonymous

UPDATE: Forced Power off of the net book. Rebooted with the attempt of F9. F( did nothing for me. Windows splash screen came up. And then proceeded to pick up where it left off regarding the What is your computer name"? Clicked "Next" like a typical setup and proceeded with setup. asked for a user name thus I provided. I entered all the typical information for a setup. Finally it seems this is underway and I cannot wait to get this off my desk and back into my friends hands.

The system is now up and running. I thank you kindly for this How To article / Blog.

October 25, 2009 at 7:47 AM
Spemi

Good! Its happy to know you got it work. Thanks for your visit.

October 25, 2009 at 8:05 AM
Anonymous

Yep. it is. Just wondering why it took a few reboots. Personally I think this thing is a POS. :)

October 25, 2009 at 8:12 AM
Anonymous

Hi there. I'm trying this on an eeepc 1000HD using the UltraISO method and a 4GB USB key. After I've edited the RCDGHOST.BAT and WINPESHL.INI and add them back to the device, during the File > Save process I get the error 'There is not enough space on the disk. (112)'

Any ideas?

November 3, 2009 at 4:51 AM
Spemi

@Anonymous
4GB drive is enough. I think you have other files on USB.
Format your USB key.. and repeat the process.

November 3, 2009 at 6:07 AM
StumbleGuy

Hi. Thanks for this post, it was helpful. I've been trying to recover my sons Eee PC, a 901 with 12GB SSD. I looked at options for getting XP onto a Flash drive, but it seemed rather fiddly. Then I remembered I had an SATA/IDE to USB adapter I use for extracting data from IDE and SATA disks. Like this one:

Mine has a model number "ISU-111-PC". It was about £15 UK off eBay last year (2008). I took my Pioneer DVD writer (DVR-110DBK) and hooked it up to the IDE port on the adapter, added power (the adapter also came with an IDE and SATA transformer and plugs) and hooked it up to the Eee PC.

On boot, I went into the BIOS and selected the DVD drive as first boot device (it just appeared there), then simply rebooted with the support/recovery DVD in the drive. The DVD booted with no problems and I had the system recovered within 20 minutes.

I can strongly recommend this method as a fairly cheap and easy way to build your own temporary external DVD drive for a Eee PC. Plus you get to use the adapter if you need to recover hard disk drives or copy files off a PVR disk.

November 15, 2009 at 5:24 AM
Billie H.

I need help. I have done all things listed here for the UltraISO. It says booting from USB and all keeps acting like it is trying to do the restore. But it keeps restarting. Anyone had this problem? Please help.

November 16, 2009 at 7:32 AM
Spemi

@Billie

whats your EEEPC model?

November 16, 2009 at 8:43 AM

far out it worked !!!

Legend !!!

This work for my Asus S101

I used the below, not sure if it was correct but it got it going.

:SD
set SD1_ID=0

November 20, 2009 at 3:39 AM
Anonymous

Hello, and thanks for this very helpful tutorial.

I have just used it to restore Windows XP to my Asus eee 901, after trying out a few Ubuntu distros.

However, I had to use different parameters.

-----

For a start, my Asus eee 901 support DVD (v1.0) contains about 4.5GB of data. I could not fit this on a 4GB flash device, so I used an 8GB one instead. You can delete that 900MB+ "Software" folder and fit the important stuff onto a 4GB card.

Presumeably because I had the two drives in formats not recognised by Windows, the USB device was assigned the letter C. The second time I did this, when the 901 had the two drives in NTFS format, the USB device was assigned the letter E.

Rather than hardcoding the appropriate values into RCDGHOST.BAT, I complicated the process described in this blog by adding an extra bat file that simulates RCDRECOVER.EXE to a small extent.

Here are the steps:

1. Use UltraISO to copy the DVD image to the flash device, as described above.
2. Use UltraISO to open winpe.iso
3. Don't touch RCDGHOST.BAT.
4. Extract I386\SYSTEM32\WINPESHL.INI
5. Open the extracted WINPESHL.INI and change X:\EPCRECOVER.EXE to X:\RCDRECOVER.BAT
6. Save this file, then use UltraISO to add it back into the ISO file, overwriting the old one.
7. Create the file RCDRECOVER.BAT.
8. Copy'n'paste the following into RCDRECOVER.BAT:

@echo off

for %%d in (H G F E D C) do if exist %%d:\ X:\RCDGHOST.BAT %%d "" 2 0 1

echo USB drive letter was not determined.
pause

9. Save RCDRECOVER.BAT and use UltraISO to add it to the root directory of winpe.iso
10. Use UltraISO to save the iso file to the flash device (also described above).
11. Eject the USB device, and boot from it on 901. On mine, it's the Esc key that lets you choose the boot device.

-----

For those who care:

This simply passes the parameters that the original RCDGHOST.BAT was expecting.

%%d is the drive letter the USB stick was assigned.

"" is a password that isn't used for this installation.

2 is the hard drive count

0 is the drive id of the first SD drive of the 901
1 is the drive id of the second SD drive of the 901

November 23, 2009 at 10:50 AM
Anonymous

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!!
It worked perfectly.

December 3, 2009 at 8:57 AM
Dcscabra

For the 901 tuto,

December 5, 2009 at 4:10 PM

Tx For the toturial
I have a 901 and the first tuto made the eee go in a reboot circle. But the 901 tuto helped with that, it starts to install and then it fails at the resolution and gives me a dos prompt window with this text:

x:\i386\system32 factory -winpe

x:\i386\system32

If I try to restart the factory -winpe it fails again
Any suggestions?

/Jolkro

December 6, 2009 at 10:13 PM

Tx for the totu.
I own a 901 and the first totu got it to reboot in a loop, but when I used the 901 totu I got to factory -winpe and then it just gives me a dos prompt.
why wont it go on?
I have tried to do and partion directly from ghost32, but that wont work either.
All help would be greatly appreciated.
Tx

/Jolkro

December 7, 2009 at 12:07 AM

Hello Jolkro,

The tutorial for the 901 is using version 1.0 of the support DVD. Perhaps things have changed in yours?

When you get to the DOS prompt, you could perhaps try changing to the root directory of the X drive and running the bit that searches for the USB drive and supplies that drive letter to the RCDGHOST bat script. Note that since this is being executed at the DOS prompt rather than in a bat file in the tutorial, you only use %d instead of %%d:

CD \
for %d in (H G F E D C) do if exist %d:\ X:\RCDGHOST.BAT %d "" 2 0 1

December 12, 2009 at 6:18 PM
Anonymous

thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!!!!! The last part:
"Update : 25-10-2009 - Alternate method" Was genius!!!! so, thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you!!!!

December 17, 2009 at 8:38 AM
Fair
This comment has been removed by the author. December 18, 2009 at 6:54 PM
Fair

After trying to boot from USB pendrive, error massage says:

NTLDR missing..
Press CTL ALT DEL to restart

its an eeepc900 (plain, not HA or else)

followed the instructions, set bios to boot from usb

December 18, 2009 at 6:56 PM
Anonymous

Thank you so much!! After recieving the "the system was not fully installed" message, we used the F9 recovery method as described with not problems! Only took about 8 minutes or so to reinstall itself! Thanks a million! (Realized after the fact that during the first startup, the power flashed and it was unable to fully install itself - you saved us a million headaches on the phone with tech support!)

December 26, 2009 at 3:17 PM

If %HD_ID%==9 set HD_DST=10

rem step2
rem -----
X:\gdisk32.exe 1 /mbr /z

rem step3
rem -----
X:\ghost32.exe -clone,mode=load,src=%DVD_ROM%\RECOVERY\EEEPC.gho,dst=%HD_DST% -sure -fx -quiet

:end
exit

I've tried changing the following:
Replace
set DVD_ROM=%1:
to
set DVD_ROM=D:

Replace
set HD_ID=%3
to
set HD_ID=0

But after selecting Booth Device the booth screen is blank with no error message or prompt. Just a cursor.

Are you able to get me further?

Joyce

December 27, 2009 at 8:05 PM
Anonymous

what would happen if i don't 'disable the boot booster'?
it's my first time doing this.

it wont delete the files in drive D right?

December 31, 2009 at 12:00 AM

Dear sir,
i'm using 901
i followed the step that u teached in 11/23, but nothing happened after i booted from the USB, and loaded the ramdisk
its load into the asus page, pop the dos prompt quick, and disapper (i dont know whats it is, too fast)
and then, it reboot again

/lemon

January 10, 2010 at 11:57 AM
Anonymous

i rebuild the USB flash, and follow 11/23 steps again.
All RUN great
thx

/lemon

January 11, 2010 at 6:23 AM

Greetings!

Made the mistake of choosing the Rescue partition after installing Ubuntu Remix; it "remixed" my MBR so that all I was getting was the "grub rescue" prompt. Bootable USB drive with UltraISO was the only thing that worked. Thanks for your research...

/cdm

January 25, 2010 at 5:17 AM
Anonymous

Using an Asus Eee PC 1005HA Netbook (again!)

Thanks!

/cdm

January 25, 2010 at 5:18 AM
Anonymous

i have formated my HD. and this error occur, "application error occur 27074. Ghost has detected corruption in the image file. please perform an integrity check on the image".

please solve the problem......

January 29, 2010 at 9:24 AM
Anonymous

Does anyone know if recovering reverts the partitions to what they were before? I'd like to dual boot but would like control over where XP installs to and such. Thanks!

February 10, 2010 at 7:45 AM
Anonymous

I have the Eee 1005ha, I did everything (alternative method with USB). But when I reboot the netbook with the USB, said: Disk I/0 error.

Before I try with F9 restore and also didn't work.

Any idea?

thanks

February 12, 2010 at 6:30 AM
Anonymous

Thank you so much.. I just completed re-boot using f9 key... Lost everything but at least it now works...... Thanks for the info

February 13, 2010 at 1:20 PM
Anonymous

hi i'm not the most computer savvy. however my girl has eee pc 1005hab i've tried the alternate methods. upon started the eeepc the screen says
Start booting from USB device......

Again i don't know much about these things. seems to me more should be happening. could use your advice SPEMI thank you!

February 26, 2010 at 3:10 PM
Anonymous

when i load from my usb i get this error

the file iastor.sys could not be found.

what can i do to fix it?

March 8, 2010 at 12:36 PM
sPyd3r.bLiTz

more information, tips n tricks visit to http://spyder-blitz.blogspot.com/

March 12, 2010 at 4:58 AM
Muric

Thank you so much! I've just restored my Win XP on my Eee PC 701 using BartPE.

March 12, 2010 at 10:01 AM
Anonymous

hi i got assus 1001ha i tried loot of thing even this also but i cant boot from pen drive can u pls help me out

March 17, 2010 at 11:19 AM
Avif

Plese help me!
when I clik build in Bart PE Builder: invalid source path (cannot find file i386/layout.inf
Thank's

Avif Haryana

April 10, 2010 at 7:34 PM

hello,
I am trying to fix my friends 900hd, and followed all of the above steps to create the bootable usb. After the RAMDISK loads, the eeepc screen pops up momentarily, then turns off and restarts again! can someone please help me to try and figure out what i did wrong? Thanks!!

/jns

April 10, 2010 at 8:45 PM
steve6375

I have posted a video on how to do this at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qMsMXOterc

April 11, 2010 at 2:22 AM
Anonymous

This is great! Just followed the directions to reinstall to factory condition using F2 and then F9 keys. GREAT INSTRUCTIONS! Almost too fast! So greatful!

April 11, 2010 at 7:09 AM
Avif

Is there a possibility to install windows xp arabic enabled to EEE PC 1000HE? thanks before

April 11, 2010 at 8:04 AM
Anonymous

I have followed all the steps.
But when I start the reboot process, the screen only shows this:
Start booting from USB device...
No progress from there on.
Any solution?

April 28, 2010 at 9:47 PM
5eekingparadise

I'm trying to use the first set of steps using f9, and to goes through the whole process like you said, then the screen just says 'reboot' and when i do, it just take me right back to the reformat screen, i didn't hit any keys.
what am i doing wrong?

<3 Lorelei

May 13, 2010 at 1:03 PM
Anonymous

Thank you so much for this, WORKS GREAT !!!

May 19, 2010 at 9:17 AM
Anonymous

Thanks a TON for the 901 modification tutorial!

May 21, 2010 at 7:03 PM
partition recovery

Partition recovery is a powerful partition recovery application that provides complete recovery of lost partitions and data .

May 24, 2010 at 10:12 PM

Great it WORKS on my 1000h

It didnt work at first and it said 'cannot find recovery cd', but then I realized I missed the last step in the ultraISO method, saving. lol.

May 27, 2010 at 11:53 AM
Anonymous

Build an XP Pro VLK install with slipstreamed Asus drivers on another machine, Ghost after sysprepping, and you'd have an even better OS.

June 2, 2010 at 7:08 AM
Anonymous

thankz a lot..... it works...

June 9, 2010 at 7:44 AM
Matthew

I cannot thank you enough.

I was sitting here all frustrated trying to get my drivers on a copy of Dell Windows XP Home Edition SP1, and so I googled for easier installation and this game up.

It worked perfectly, I was amazed at how even the Microsoft Works, and Norton, Microsoft Office 2007 came back.

My computer is working great now thanks to you, I am going to recommend this to everyone I know with an EEE PC.

June 27, 2010 at 11:46 PM
Sensii

Thank you very much for posting this solution.
It worked like a charm for my young child' Asus 1005HA.
People like you on the internet make life easier first time around.

June 28, 2010 at 1:36 PM
Anonymous

Just wanted to say thanks so much for this guide. It was really a BIG help! You rock!

July 11, 2010 at 12:51 PM
forrest

I've been attempting to recover my girlfriend's Asus EEE PC 1005HAB. I've tried the alternate method since I don't have any windows source files (Windows 7 disk does't work it seems) and using this method I have a feeling these batch files won't work on the basis that to boot from the USB I have to change the primary harddrive to the USB; selecting external media won't work. In doing so, I don't think its actually partitioning the main harddrive.

I'm gathering this is due to the variable %HD1_xxx%. My question is if this variable really reflects the primary harddrive. So essentially, I feel like it's doing everything to the USB drive.

After the following the tutorial, I run everything fine. After the reboot, it just repeats itself. If I take out the USB after the initial reboot, it starts running the WinPE (as if I hit F9). Ghost runs and then gives me an error message stating there's an inconsistency with the images, indicating the real primary harddrive did not get completely formatted. Anyone have any tips?

August 15, 2010 at 11:01 PM
Anonymous

My 1201HAB bios was a little different. To get it to boot from the USB, I had to first go to Hard Disk Drives under the boot menu and change the USB drive to be first HDD. Then go to the Boot Device Priority and select the USB drive.

Other than that, the USB option worked great for me.

August 21, 2010 at 9:55 AM
Larry H.

Method IV didn't work for me - my wife's netbook just wouldn't boot. It stayed stuck on the same screen forever until being shut off.

I tried many other things before going back to your site and trying method III (BartPE). It worked perfectly and finally I can rest. Thank you for the excellent tutorial!

September 1, 2010 at 4:11 AM
Anonymous

Thanks for posting this. I have a 1005HAB and messed up the MBR and recovery partition while experimenting Ubuntu. Now I am trying go back to winxp. I used the UltraIso and 11/23/2010's recommendation on the modified .bat and .ini file. Looks like it partitioned the hard drive and put the recovery image on the hard drive. Now every time, the eee pc is booted up, it goes to window preinstall environment. the light blue eee pc screen shows up with a pop-up window with title of "AutoIt Error" and following message:

Line 0 (File "X:\minint\SYSTEM32\recovery.exe"):

RUN("ghost32 -clone,mode=pload,src=X:\"&$lang&":1,dst=1:1 -sure -fx
-quiet","",@SW_HIDE)
RUN("ghost32 -clone,mode=pload,src=X:\"&^ ERROR

Error: Variable used without being declared.

Please help.

September 4, 2010 at 6:33 AM
Anonymous

I tried pressing F9 key after disabling boot booster then i press F10 key before it boot up, but nothing happen...it only took me to
windows. Is there something i missed? Please help!

September 7, 2010 at 2:21 PM
Anonymous

Oh dear! Ok..so my keyboard and mousepad werent working when i turned on my 901 today. Thought i would recovery windows after uninstalling and re-installing didnt work. Got as far as step 2. in the "using F9 Key" option above;

When I restarted PC got following error msg;
"windows could not start becasue the following file is missing or corrupt:
\system32\hal.dll.
Please re-install a copy of the above file."

Little help?????

ps. I chose "f9" option as I cant find my CD/DVD anywhere. And this semed alot easier anyway.

pss. Im an amateur..BIG ONE!

Thanks!!!

October 21, 2010 at 7:07 AM
Anonymous

I followed this method >> "Update : 25-10-2009 - Alternate method" everything goes fine ... RAMDISK loaded and then on my screen appears Eee PC screen with cmd.exe opened and thats all. Can someone help me with this ? I don't know what can I do. I have ASUS Eee PC 900a

October 23, 2010 at 1:51 AM
Anonymous

(**sorry if this posts again..dunno if it worked before**)

Hi!

Please ignore my post 'October 21, 2010 7:07 AM'.

I found my XP Support DVD Rev 1.0. I have 901 model.

I've tried both the 'Update : 25-10-2009 - Alternate method'
and the 'November 23, 2009 10:50 AM' (901 tut.)

Neither worked!!???? :( HELP??? I leave on OS trip in 1 week and need this working :/

the 'alt method' seems to start fine..takes about 3min or less and then reboots... the BIOS option screen shows for few seconds as normal..but then it goes to MS Dos.

the '901' tut. Seemed to start loading from USB, but then got following error messages;
"File name? (546)
Output error file to the following locations:
A:\GHOSTERR.TXT"
..with option to select "OK" or "CANCLE"

when selected "OK"
"ERROR
Cannot open GHOSTERR.TXT
-insert diskette (434)
..with option to select "OK" only.

then it just reverts back to previous error message.

When I selected "CANCLE"
"Application Error 27076
Ghost has detected corruption in the image file. Please perform an integrity check on the image. If this problem persists, contact Symantec Tech. Supp. at http://www.blah blah etc etc"

this just reverted to MS Dos as well i think...but not sure... i know it didnt let me continue anyways.

Would REALLY appreciate any help/advice!???

Ive learnt alot from this blog! Thanks so much! Its awesome!! I dont have money to pay for this, so its INVALUABLE! Thankyou thankyou!!!...would be EVEN BETTER if i could work out how to make it work :/

Cheers (Tim)

October 24, 2010 at 6:47 PM
ronak

hi i have asus eee pc 1005p . and i dont have recovery tools for tht and my os is crashed now. now when i m trying to use startup repair so it says dont send error.

February 19, 2011 at 5:50 AM
Anonymous

Great tutorial!!! Got me out of a bind!!!!

March 16, 2011 at 10:48 AM
Anonymous

alright i set priorety drive to the flash drive but when i rebooted nuthing happened? it just booted like it would regularly

March 27, 2011 at 5:22 AM
Anonymous

Thank for the guide it is awesome manage to get my eee pc alive

April 2, 2011 at 7:08 AM
Anonymous

I'm in a bind.. it's not booting from the usb. I have it properly set, the usb has been built properly, yet it doesn't read from it.

April 7, 2011 at 9:30 PM
John Stead

I have been trying for some time to reboot my EeePC 900 following your second method as F9 does nothing.
I have successfully set up a USB stick and it does boot the EeePC and BartPE loads but before I can do anything Windows starts and immediately goes to a blue screen and says it has shut down to avoid damage. Everything seems OK on the USB stick but there are two ghost files from the original setup disc, EEEPC1.GHO and EEEPS2.GHO.
I would try the alternate method but unless I register UltraISO will not handle a sufficiently large image and until I am satisfied it will work I don't want to spend $29.95.
Any suggestions will be most welcome.

May 25, 2011 at 3:01 PM
Anonymous

thankkksssss .. you save my eeee pc :) :) :)

June 10, 2011 at 12:46 AM
Anonymous

This seriously saved me hours... thank you. Method #2, FTW. Thank you!

June 21, 2011 at 2:43 PM
Anonymous

I have been trying to recover my EeePC 900ha fom win7 back to win XP (it was origanally XP). after the reformatting my computer just restarts itself and than goes back to the same messege box about reformatting the computer. if I click 'ok' again, it is reformating again and restarts and return to the same screen. if click 'cencel' it just restarts and returns to the same screen.
What should I do?

July 2, 2011 at 8:17 AM
Anonymous

I have problems rebooting my asus 900HA. the reformatting went smoothly, but after the computer restarted it just produced the same messege about how it's now going to reformat. if i choose 'yes' it reformats, restarts and returns to the same messege. if i choose 'cancel' it just restarts and return to the same messege.

PS sorry if I posted this before, a day has passed and my post hasn't shown.

July 3, 2011 at 1:02 AM
Anonymous

I got to the point where RAMDisk loads but after it finishes loading, my Eee pc crashes and restarts. I have a 1101 HA. Please help me

July 5, 2011 at 11:18 PM
Anonymous

Top man worked a treat using ultra iso.

massive thanks

July 13, 2011 at 8:06 AM
Anonymous

worked great for eee pc1000ha, thank you.

August 2, 2011 at 5:50 PM
Anonymous

This is beyond all other ASUS USB boot tutorials...

Copy image and then make an edit of 2 files only.... vouala!

Simples!

September 2, 2011 at 8:44 AM
Anonymous

I have followed every step on alternate 2 section with no problems, both of the files have been edited and replaced. confirmed it several times. also the netbook's booting is set as well however when i use the stick i get this error on my netbook: "invalid partition table"

any solutions for this error?

September 19, 2011 at 11:58 AM
Brad

I CAN NOT THANK YOU ENOUGH YOU ARE A LIFE SAVER!!!!!!!!

October 29, 2011 at 5:33 PM
Anonymous

I have eee901, will not complete bootup. It gets to the windowsXP screen but without the account login icons, and hums for a minute or two in the background before the drive light goes out. I have a second SS drive, which will boot. Problem is all my data on the 1st drive is no longer accessible. It shows up in WinExplorer, but no access. The account on the bad drive is passworded, which may be part of the problem. I do have the Bartee USB stick. Is there any way to restore the XP without completely reformatting the disk? Alternatively, is there anyway to access passworded account files on a primary boot disk after the XP is corrupted? Any advice appreciated.

November 5, 2011 at 3:30 AM
Anonymous

I have the 900hd but cant find the support dvd to format it any ideas where i can download a copy, i have tried one torrent site but there is never any seeds on.. Cheers

December 10, 2011 at 5:45 AM
bert

December 20, 2011 at 9:36 AM
Anonymous

Hi. I have a eee 900. I followed the instructions on here and am stuck in an endless loop of the following:
Start booting from usb device
Loading RAMDISK image... (shows a bar to indicate it is loading)
Starting Windows preinstallation environment
Please wait
Goes into the ASUS screen with a quick flash of a DOS window
Reboots

I am assuming that it is something to do with changing the appropriate values in the files but I am not sure what I should put instead of the ones listed above which you said are for the 900ha. Can anyone help? I would be so grateful to have this netbook up and running for my son again! Thank you!

December 29, 2011 at 2:48 PM
Anonymous

Very helpful, Thank a lot.

January 23, 2012 at 10:39 AM
Edward Said

i search all the time and i found here.. thanks dude..

February 15, 2012 at 5:44 PM
Anonymous

The second method worked PERFECTLY to restore my S101 using a 1000H .iso, no discs involved! Thanks for this guide!

February 18, 2012 at 8:24 AM
Robert

for 900A owners,
in RCDGHOST.BAT

find
set set SD1_ID=%4

and replace with
SD1_ID=0

Also I found that the changes were not being saved to the flash drive, edit the WINPE.ISO in a temp folder on your hard drive, exit UltraISO and click yes to save the changes then copy the WINPE.ISO to the flash drive

March 11, 2012 at 6:26 AM
Anonymous

an old fart like I am is stuck - trying to get this sorted for the grandchildren to play with
got it as far as trying to edit rcdghost.bat file and got

@echo off

found
HD_COUNT=%3 & HDF9

March 15, 2012 at 11:42 AM

thanks you man

March 27, 2012 at 10:48 AM
The Boys Blog

I was stuck in a boot loop on the "Alternate" method (IV) on my EEE PC 1005HAB. Here is how I solved the problem.

When I booted from my USB after completing the Alternate method, the RAM image loaded, then EEE PC restore screen would come up momentarily, then the computer would reboot and start over.

I then took a try at method III, using BartPE and WinToFlash. When I booted from the USB on that attempt, I got a "NTLDR is missing" message, and the system stopped.

So I rebuilt in BartPE, and also checked the box to have the build output to an .iso file, stored on the hard disk. Then, instead of running WintoFlash, I used UltraISO to burn the .iso file that BartPE had created to my USB drive.

This allowed me to boot from USB and start BartPE. From there, I could run Ghost.exe, but the system did not recognize the *.gho file as a Symantec file. I solved this by re-copying my copy of eeepc-eng.gho to the root of the USB (i.e., just a drag and copy, not any operation through UltraISO). This made the *.gho file recognizable the next time I started BartPE.

Now BartPE recognized the *.gho file, but it wasn't seeing my hard drive on the computer I was trying to restore. I solved this by going into my BIOS and changing the SATA mode to IDE, per this page on the ASUS website.

I'm an English major, so I'm sure there are better ways to do this. But this is what worked for me.

BBW

May 24, 2012 at 5:58 AM
brian granse

Thank you it worked so far but I did this with a remote pc monitor. the eeepc900's screen is damaged.. And now after reboot I am herring music but the remote screen wont show up? If I can get windows re installed i was going to get a lcd screen..

June 17, 2012 at 2:11 PM
brian granse

I cannot see the screen anymore I am hearing music play. I was using a remote pc monitor since the eeepc 900's is damaged..

June 17, 2012 at 2:13 PM
brian granse

June 17, 2012 at 2:14 PM
Ones and Zeros on the Interweb

Hi,

I have an eeepc 1000HE.

Unfortunately, the recovery disc is no longer available to me and the recovery partition has been deleted by a linux installation.

I would like to restore it to its factory spec, but can find no source of a system DVD to make the changes.

Is a replacement system DVD available for the 1000HE? Where can I get one.

Many thanks for any help you can get me.

Tony

volpoon @ hotmail.com (2 spaces inserted there to avoid bots and spam. You know how email addresses work - :))

Cheers

July 8, 2012 at 5:36 AM
Ones and Zeros on the Interweb

Hi,

I have an eeepc 1000HE.

Is a replacement system DVD available for the 1000HE? Where can I get one.

Many thanks for any help you can get me.

Tony

Cheers

July 8, 2012 at 5:37 AM
Ones and Zeros on the Interweb

Can anyone help me recover the original system on my eeepc 1000HE? The recovery disc with the ghost image is no longer available to me (it's been thrown out with the box) and I installed ubuntu some time ago and wiped the recovery partition. I know this was all very stupid, but that's where we are now. I looked on the ASUS site at their downloads section and there seems not to be an XP recovery disc available.

Does anyone have an XP recovery disc for the 1000HE? I will of course refund any costs involved in getting me a copy.

Many thanks for any advice you can give me.

July 10, 2012 at 11:39 PM
Tyren Gee

where can i get a copy of the support dvd for an eee pc 900 xp

August 1, 2012 at 10:13 AM
Tyren Gee

where can i get a copy of the support dvd for an eee pc 900 xp

August 1, 2012 at 10:15 AM
Morgan Bailey

I tried to reset my computer using the disk and it didnt finish completly due to some sort of error. Everytime I turn it on it trys to finish and then it brings me to the screen with the error. It says Error Line 0. I cant do anything to it or even have any options. What do I do?! Thanks!

August 7, 2012 at 1:46 PM
Anonymous

Well done.On 1000H everything come back with latest method "ultra iso". Just 1 problem! I see that F9 is not working any more.
I see 2 partitions, and a third called "PE" with 32mb only.
Is there any way to bring back *.*GHO there?

September 6, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Thank You all so much..
It really helped me to recover my eee 901..
I couldn't use it for over a year, but now I can :))

September 28, 2012 at 1:10 PM
Radu Ionita

For me neither 3 or 4 didn't worked, both methods encountered errors. Method 4 gave me loop booting and creating the BartPE also gave me errors (maybe because I'm on Windows 8).
But I've realised that the purpose is to run Ghost32.exe and restore EEEPC-ENG.GHO.
So I've downloaded Hirens.BootCD and made a Bootable USB with Xboot, then copied both GHOST32.EXE and EEEPC-ENG.GHO on that USB. I've used ESC to bring Boot Menu an my Asus EEE PC, booted from USB and started Hirens. Hirens bring you another Boot Menu and choosed Mini XP. After logged in Mini XP I have started GHOST32.EXE from the USB and followed all steps like in 3rd method presented here with BartPE.

December 21, 2012 at 8:18 AM
Pollayil Alexander

Thanks a million! You guys are gr8! I was able to put back the factory OS to my ASUS Netbook clamshell 10.1 there was no information available at the ASUS website. I installed the windows 8, it installed without any problem, then it will not open any program or application because it says this PC need to change the screen resolution to 1024x768 and it has only 1024x600. I wonder why the Windows XP was able to run all the applications. The win 8 was suppose to be a better os for portables and netbooks. I don't know what was I could I do other than installing UBUNTU.

December 31, 2012 at 2:22 PM
blade68

i can do f9 recovery and get to ghost32 but when it reboots i just stays on the windows screen saying please wait, any advice

January 12, 2013 at 5:28 PM
blade68

i have used f9 recovery and got past ghost32 but when it reboots it stays on the windows screen and says please wait

January 12, 2013 at 5:30 PM

Thanks for the post.
I had trouble getting the PC to boot from the USB, I tried both methods with no success.
I then formatted the USB to NFTS (it was FAT 32) and voila!
Both boot types worked.

cheers

January 26, 2013 at 12:16 AM
ZAZA

Hi,
I am lost, as I tried the Update : 25-10-2009 - Alternate method and everything worked, until I came to the RCDGHOST.Editor page.
I have an Asus Eee PC 900 (plain, without AH or H or anything) with Windows XP installed.
As it always breaks down I wanted to reinstall /recover Windows XP on it.
It has a partition and a HD1 (assigned as c: drive in Windows) and a HD2 assigned as (d: drive in Windows). In the Recovery folder I do have a EEEPC1.GHO and a EEEPC2.GHO file.
My question is:
What do I need to enter for changing the settings in the RCDGHOST.BAT file? thank you very much for your help in advance!! I would be very grateful for your answer on this forum PLEASE:

the RCDGHOST.BAT file reads:

:HD1
REM Clean HD1 and new create partition
set HD1_ID=%4
set HD1_DST=
set IMG1_NAME=EEEPC1.GHO
FOR %%i IN (0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7) DO IF %HD1_ID%==%%i diskpart /s x:\HD%%i.txt
FOR %%j IN (8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1) DO IF %%j GTR %HD1_ID% set HD1_DST=%%j

REM Restore image to HD1
X:\gdisk32.exe %HD1_DST% /mbr /z
IF not exist %DVD_ROM%\RECOVERY\%IMG1_NAME% set IMG1_NAME=EEEPC.GHO
IF not exist %DVD_ROM%\RECOVERY\%IMG1_NAME% goto END
X:\ghost32.exe -clone,mode=load,src=%DVD_ROM%\RECOVERY\%IMG1_NAME%,dst=%HD1_DST% -sure -fx
If %HD_COUNT%==2 goto HD2

:HD2
REM Clean HD2 and new create partition
set HD2_ID=%5
set HD2_DST=
set IMG2_NAME=EEEPC2.GHO
FOR %%k IN (0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7) DO IF %HD2_ID%==%%k diskpart /s x:\HD%%k.txt
FOR %%l IN (8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1) DO IF %%l GTR %HD2_ID% set HD2_DST=%%l

REM Restore image to HD2
X:\gdisk32.exe %HD2_DST% /mbr /z
IF not exist %DVD_ROM%\RECOVERY\%IMG2_NAME% goto END
X:\ghost32.exe -clone,mode=load,src=%DVD_ROM%\RECOVERY\%IMG2_NAME%,dst=%HD2_DST% -sure -fx
If %HD_COUNT%==3 goto END

:END

January 27, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Hi
I tried to recover Windows XP on my Asus Eee PC 900 (plain, without anything, no HA or H or so, just plain). It is partitioned into 2 HD drives, one of the drives is assigned to C: and the other to D:.
I don't know exactly how to change the settings in the RCDGHOST.BAT.
Would you please help me to recover my Eee PC 900?
I would be most grateful and thank you very much in advance. I could imagine that others would welcome the information as much as I do.

My RCDGHOST.BAT reads as follows:

X:\gdisk32.exe %HD2_DST% /mbr /z
IF not exist %DVD_ROM%\RECOVERY\%IMG2_NAME% goto END
If %HD_COUNT%==3 goto END

:END

January 27, 2013 at 12:10 PM
Anonymous

I tried and I get blue screen and restart. I CANNOT ACCESS BIOS AND OTHER OPTIONS. When I turn the computer on it directly gets me to starting windows xp and then the blue screen. HOW DID I MESSED SO BAD? Please help/

March 14, 2013 at 3:34 PM
webexpert66

your tutorial was fantastic.thank u so much for sharing a great post.
HP2-Z25

October 9, 2013 at 11:52 PM
any

Im trying alt method Update : 25-10-2009 for asus 900sd but I think I need to know what values to change for rcdghost.bat file. The file I have is exactly like the one you present in the method. Trying the process you show didnt help my pc. Please help.

December 26, 2013 at 1:35 PM